Stockport is a focal point of an extensive local bus service. Some services pass Edgeley Park, many services have stops outside Stockport College, which is 6 minutes walk away, others terminate/call in at the nearby bus station. A number of longer distance bus services also operate through Stockport
To plan your journey by bus, please visit the TfGM Journey Planner
Stockport station is 10 minutes walk from Edgeley Park.
- From the south
- Stockport is on the main North/South rail line to Manchester. Most trains from the Midlands, the South and West, and London call at Stockport (some are routed via Manchester Airport, so do check).
- From the East
- There is an approximately hourly service to Sheffield, which originated variously from Nottingham/Derby, Lincolnshire, Peterborough and East Anglia.
- From the East/Yorkshire
- A very frequent service exists from Leeds (3 or 4 per hour) originating in Newcastle, Scarborough, York and Hull. All these trains are bound for Manchester Airport so a change at Manchester Piccadilly is required. Frequent trains connect Manchester Piccadilly to Stockport. A subsidiary route from Leeds via Bradford runs in to Manchester Victoria. You rail ticket is valid on the Metro to transfer to Manchester Piccadilly and thence to Stockport.
- From the West
- There is an extensive service from Liverpool (trains for Sheffield, Derby and further east are direct, other services change at Piccadilly), Southport (change at Manchester) and Blackpool (some direct, most change at Piccadilly).
- From the North
- Travel from Scotland, the North and the Lake District on a Manchester Airport bound train will entail a change at Manchester Piccadilly. Some Virgin trains from Scotland are routed via Manchester Piccadilly and Stockport.
To plan your journey by train, please visit http://www.thetrainline.com
We would like to remind you, don't drink and drive. If you do have somebody who is willing to drive without drinking (or you've arranged some accommodation), Stockport is easy to reach by car. The M60 motorway (formally M63) passes through the centre of the town (see Map below) and links with the M62 (Liverpool to Yorkshire), M61/M6 (North), M56/M6 (Midlands/South). The A6 across the Peak District is a reasonable road to use from Derby, Nottingham, the East Midlands and East Anglia.
To plan your journey by car, please visit the AA route planner
Manchester International Airport has many internal and international flights, and is about 20 minutes away by taxi. There are frequent trains from the Airport to Manchester Piccadilly, where you can change for Stockport Station. For further details see the By train section. Direct bus connections are also available. See the By Bus section.